Wednesday, May 12, 2010

How Can I Make Fly Repellent?

Does anyone have some good recipes for making fly repellent for horses that actually work? :)


Thanks guys.How Can I Make Fly Repellent?
Fly ointment: 1 oz Oil of Citronella ( found in most pharmacies not the stuff for outdoor lamps) mixed well into the large jar of petroleum jelly 13oz. Use it around eyes, ears, legs, sheath/belly, on yourself, on dogs ears( keeps away biting gnats and black flys as well)





Fly spray: 6 caps full of Skin so Soft, 1 cup white vinegar, just a good squirt of Ivory liquid soap, mixed in a 32 oz bottle with water.





fly spray: 2 cups white vinegar, 1 cup Avon Skin So Soft (Bath oil), 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon eucalyptus oil, mix in spray bottle





Internally.. feed 1/4 cup cider vinegar daily. Mix in food or water. It takes about a week before any results are seen, but I use it with some cattle and it does seem to help.





A friend uses Pinesol mixed 50/50 with water and has for years. she applies it every 3-4 days and it does seem to work as well as some of the regular brands.





Add: For wounds dont mess around. Go find a jar of SWAT at the tack or pet store. Its safe for open wounds and really does repel bugsHow Can I Make Fly Repellent?
I don't want to hear any boo's about this because it sounds wrong, but adding 1 cup of kerosene to 1 gallon of vinegar is the best fly spray I have ever used. My Amish neighbors gave me the recipe and it is incredible. To make it smell nice just add a hint of dawn dish soap.
I was Just about to ask the Same Question :)


Flies are a pain this time of year.


My Mare has a cut on her chest and the flies have started eating at it.


Vasaline was working to stop them but it's melting off her at the moment in this heat.


I'm trying wound powder now and it seems to be working :)
oki well i did no as people at my stables make there own as its cheaper and it works better then the fly repellent all i can remember is that it has white vinegar in.

No comments:

Post a Comment