Friday, May 14, 2010

Is it safe to use insect repellent on 1 year old?

We get mosquitos up here bad in the summer, I want my son to be able to play outside, I just don't want him to be covered in bites. I know it say don't use on children under 12 but is there anything else I can use?Is it safe to use insect repellent on 1 year old?
They do make this protection for children..it's a rub on not a spray. I believe Avon sells some too.


avon also sells a Skin so Soft bath oil that you can put on a child.They have a website if you want to go in and look. It's a well known bug repellant.Is it safe to use insect repellent on 1 year old?
Get dry ice and put it little bit away from where he plays. Mosquitos are attracked to carbon dioxodie, you could also spend about 150 bucks for a bug attractor that uses propane. but the dry ice works well.
try avons sss bath oil or do as i do and use the sss bug guard just do not use on hands.... i use that and my daughter is 7 1/2 months
anything that says it has 10% or less of DEET is safe for babies and children.
Get the Avon SSS, it is like babyoil and safe.


It keeps all insects away. Its a bath oil but insects cant stand it.


It contains carrot oil.
No, absolutely not. Get him a mosquito hat and gloves that is covered in a fine mesh so it protects the face and hands from bites.We use them here all the time during black fly and mosquito season. I live in the north of Ontario in the bush, so I know what it is like.
The best thing to do is to call your pediatrician's office and ask what they would recommend. Most insect repellants aren't for use of children under 2 and pharmacists aren't trained to know all about them. If you can't find what your doctor recommends, find an independently-owned drugstore and they should be able to order it for you and have it in in just a couple of days. In the meantime, try Avon's skin-so-soft bath oil. I always had that used on me when I was a kid.
Long sleeves and long pants I would not put poison on your child
Check carefully, I think there are alternatives to the spray insect repellant that is safe for use on very young children. It would be in the form of a lotion or a wipe.





Make sure you don't apply it to his hands or anywhere around his eyes.





Also, I recently saw a kind of repellant that doesn't contain DEET, which I think is safe for small children.





In addition to repellant, don't have him playing near standing water if you can help it, keep him inside from dusk to dawn, and invest in a bug zapper and come citronella candles.
You can use many repellants, put the repellant on the clothing of your child, not his skin. This will avoid it getting on his hands and him rubbing it in his eyes. I live in Minnesota, and when my daughter was under a year her doctor was scolding me for not protecting her from insects properly. I personally use Off family unscented and I put some of it on my daughter's pants, socks, shoes and on her shirt both back and front. By putting it on the child's clothes you avoid skin irritation, and limiting the possibility of the child getting the stuff in his mouth. There are also sun blocks for babies with insect repellent built in so if its sunny out too you could try one of those, coppertone baby has one I think.
  • topical cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment