Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What is the best bug repellent for camping deep in the woods?

off deep woods. also for area bug repellent try citronella candles.What is the best bug repellent for camping deep in the woods?
DEET is the best chemical for repellents. The higher the % of DEET, the better. I like muskol. It's Canadian, I think, and it's 100% DEET. Rub a small amount on, and they won't bother that area for hours.What is the best bug repellent for camping deep in the woods?
Muskol
With deet:


Sawyer Products' new Sawyer Controlled Release DEET Formula has 20 percent DEET that's physically captured inside protein molecules. As the protein molecules dissolve on your skin, the DEET is released. Sawyer claims 24 hours of protection and a health bonus: Tests have revealed vastly reduced rates of skin absorption, an undesirable characteristic of unencapsulated DEET, since the relatively large protein molecules are not readily absorbed through the skin. Contact: (800) 940-4464; www.sawyerproducts.com/Insect_ Repellent/index.htm.





Without deet:


Bite Blocker is an oil-based repellent laced with soybean oil (listed with the Environmental Protection Agency as a repellent!), geranium oil, and coconut oil. Used for years overseas, the product was released in the United States in 1997. The Graedons point to a Canadian study of Bite Blocker by the University of Guelph in Ontario that shows 97 percent protection against mosquitoes under field conditions, even 3 1/2 hours after application. Contact: (800) 423-7544; www.consep.com/biteblkr/biteblkr.htm.





Im my opinion it also depends on where you are going. If you are going somewhere that has insect bourne disease.... then go with the big guns and use deet. all studies I have seen say that a concentration of 25% to 35% deet lasts just as long as 100% concentration. Just remember not to get it on any synthetics.


Happy camping
it's called WATKINS and it's incredible. You have to order it: http://www.watkinsonline.com/. Nothing beats it, especially in lotion form because that lasts the longest. Not kidding either, I've tried everything.
Try some of the Avon Skin So Soft line, it really works and you can get a scent you like. I used it against ticks in Arkansas for two trips during the summer, different years, and thank god it worked. I hate those things. They tried to run away from me and the kids! Not a single bite because every night they showered and we applied more. When they got on our clothes, they just kept trying to get off of us and would not attach but the people who were with us were not so lucky!
I'm gonna sound crazy here...but I've found WD-40 works the best...bugs hate that ****!
Personally I use Deep Woods Off. Also the week before I go camping I set up my tent in my yard and give every inch a good coat of bug repellent, inside and out, before I pack it up. I also coat my Sleeping bag and any additional tarps I might bring. I find that having my tent space ';Bug Proofed'; helps a lot.
Skin So Soft from Avon.. just find a local rep...
Deep Woods Off.


It's the best made.
I used to use Deep Woods Off! but lately I've switched to Sawyer Family Controlled-Release Insect Repellent http://www.rei.com/product/730353 because it stays on the surface of your skin rather than absorbing into your body.
.I use Off- deep woods, I also use the off bug repellent lanterns, i guess they keep bugs away, but Off deep Woods anything works really well, the spray is best, but the towelettes do fine as well
Assuming you don't want deet because it is know to cause cancer!!!! The absolute best stuff out ther is Repel Lemon and Eucalyptus Oil. It is $7 for a 4 oz bottle and it smells good and keeps bugs off as long or longer than anything with Deet. Plus you'll live to see your grandkids. Win Win! Check it out on this link





http://www.rei.com/product/703338
I use Cutter Advanced. It uses Picaridin which is just as effective as DEET and doesn't have that oily feeling or awful smell that DEET has. It also won't harm synthetic material like DEET does.
DEET





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET





DEET is often sold and used in concentrations up to 100%. Consumer Reports found a direct correlation between DEET concentration and hours of protection against insect bites. 100% DEET was found to offer up to 12 hours of protection while several lower concentration DEET formulations (20%-34%) offered 3-6 hours of protection[1]. Other research has corroborated the effectiveness of DEET.[2]

No comments:

Post a Comment