Friday, January 22, 2010

Deer repellent devices on bumper prevent wrecks?

Pardon my ignorance, I don't know the name of the


small plastic or metal thing-a-ma-jigs many people


purchase to keep from running over deer.





They are placed on the front of the car on the bumper, and


apparently make a noise which repels deer, which


prevents them from running toward the noise / highway.





Could someone shed some light on these things?


Parents have one, never hit a deer. Brother doesn't


have them, did hit a deer. Coincidence?





P.S. What is the name of these devices? Many thanks!Deer repellent devices on bumper prevent wrecks?
Deer Whistle





http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd鈥?/a>


http://www.deerwhistle.com/





'Hit a deer once. 'Didn't have 'em. 'Bought two. 'Never hit a deer since.





All that being said, I think I still agree with Cableguy. Probably useless, but for the 99 cents to 5 dollars you'd pay for a set... heck, anything's possible! A bit of a conversation starter if nothing else... hey dude, what the heck are those things on your bumper?Deer repellent devices on bumper prevent wrecks?
no they don't work, a deer or any other wild animal will run out in front of you weather you have them on your vehicle or not I have had coyotes ,squirrels, rabbits,and even deer with high beams horn blowing and loud exhaust on my Harley and still have had them run out in my path. just drive safe and keep an eye out for them
Who trains the deer on what to do when they hear the sound?





If you can't see the deer in front of your car, it could be that it is around a bend in the road. The deer hears a sound, from some, vague direction, and decides to run up the road, IN YOUR DIRECTION, instead of to one side or the other.





If a deer panics, and ';freezes'; in the road when a huge semi is bearing down on them, what makes anyone think that they will react to some, odd, noise in any better way.





The name of the device is ';Sucker Bait.';





I have been driving mountain roads since 1966, without a deer whistler, and have never hit a deer. A bunny rabbit, once, but never a deer.
I think ';deer whistle'; is one name I've seen. ';Do they work?';. My wife had them on her car and she drove over a mountain five nights a week about midnight for two years, never hit a deer. I was skeptical myself but she swore to me that before I installed them on her car, deer would cross the road in front of her, after I installed them deer would look up from their grazing and stand stock still until she passed, never had one cross in front of her after installation. Not saying you won't hit a deer . . . . I don't have whistlers on my truck and I've had two deer run into the side of it, one at the passenger door, the other at the driver's fender and had untold number of them cross in front of me.
nope, totaly useless
The hearing range of white-tailed deer, the most common species in the United States, is between 2 kHz and 6 kHz, so the animal is not capable of hearing the 12 kHz signal.





Although deer may be able to hear the 3 kHz signal, it is only 3 decibels louder than the road noise created by the car, so the signal is buried.





Will they freeze in their tracks, run off, or charge towards the sound? Their behavior is related to the ';fight-or-flight response';.





There is an amount of space in which an animal feels safe, but once that boundary is violated, the animal's reaction is unpredictable. Its response will depend on a number of factors, including age, sex, type of enemy, and surroundings.





Deer-Whistles
  • how to makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment