Friday, January 22, 2010

I have had new sewerage trenches installed which failed as the soil is water repellent, what can I do?

The water is just pooling to the surface of the trenches and it is just a boggy mess.I have had new sewerage trenches installed which failed as the soil is water repellent, what can I do?
When soil becomes hydrophobic (water repellant) you need to add a surfectant to break the surface tension which is preventing the water from being absorbed.


This all sounds complicated, but it's really easy. Dishwashing detergent is a simple and effective surfectant and if you splash some dishwashing water over the ground it should improve the soils ability to absorb water.





Good luck :-)I have had new sewerage trenches installed which failed as the soil is water repellent, what can I do?
When we had this happen several years ago, my husband and I had to read, study and make sure we understood what those leach lines and trenches were supposed to do.





We dug the second trenches ouselves, but the guy who sold us the rock to fill them wanted to put in the same kind of rock he put in the first time. And, turns out the problem was a higher ratio of pea gravel to larger stones than should have gone in there.





So we went got our kids together and every morning for several weeks we hauled football sized rocks to the leach trenches and tossed them in. Now, we had lots of space for water to flow. Inspector joked , ';Are you guys planning to build an apartment house?'





As for the dish soap, I don't know but it makes some sense. I'd call some home improvement stores and plumbing supply stores. If this information is correct, I'll bet someone makes something for this problem that will make quick work of opening up the soil. I'm thinking you have a lot of clay in your soil?
i don't know.i'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment