Monday, January 18, 2010

How can I make my own fly repellent?

My 30 year old pony gets really bothered by flies. Is there any way of making cheap repellent that works all day? The fly sprays and wipes are getting expensive. I have tried using a vinegar solution on her but it isn't strong enough and it just wears off.


Any ideas? I've given her garlic based feed too,but she doesn't like it much.


Thanks!How can I make my own fly repellent?
you can google homemade fly spray and it will give you some recipes


but i don't know if they work haven't tried them








HOPE THIS HELPSHow can I make my own fly repellent?
The best effective and cost effecient way to make fly spray is to purchase Permethrin concentrate and get a pump spayer. The bottle will have the dilution rates. Usually about an ounce of permethrin to one gallon of water.





Permethrin is the active ingredient in most equine fly sprays. By mixing it yourself, you aren't paying for the battle and added water.





Here are a couple of links for you.





http://www.petsame.com/10%25-Permethrin-鈥?/a>


http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/鈥?/a>
fly predators can be bought online or at your tack store. you place them on manure around the barn and in the field. they are small fly like creatures that eat stable fly and mosquito eggs. they are not bothersome to horses. you may also want to get a fly mask fo5r your horse during the day, making sure to remove it every day, (so it doesnt take the hair off from all the built up moisture) for a few hours.


The natural fly sprays dont work well, in my opinion, so you'll have to buy the expemsive fly spray in addition to the mask and the predators.


the cheap stuff like Bronco is a waste of money.
Have you tried buying a supplement for her? They make feed through pest control. It can be expensive though....but it really works :)

No comments:

Post a Comment